A Few Glimpses of the
Hill - Fulper - Stangl
The Hill-Fulper-Stangl Potteries Museum had resided in what was once Stangl's historic periodic Kiln. One of the last remaining kilns of this type in the United States, this kiln was constructed during late 1929-early 1930 at Fulper Pottery's Plant No. 2 after the loss of Factory No. 1 to fire in September 1929. This kiln, with two others in the building, was used daily to fire Fulper and Stangl pottery products.
Fulper Pottery Plant No. 2, early 1930s.
Kilnmen loading a similar periodic Kiln in Trenton during the 1920s.
The pottery was set in the large fireclay saggars for protection in the kiln.
Another 1920s periodic kiln. The saggars in this photo were used for firing
dinner plates. Note how the saggars are carried on the kilnmen's heads.
Manufacturing was concentrated solely at Fulper's Trenton Factory and ceased at the Flemington Plant No. 2 in 1935. The Flemington building was turned over wholly to retail sales. Known as the Stangl Flemington Outlet, these salesrooms became renown for Stangl's dinnerware bargains. During the late 1940s, the largest kiln in the Flemington Outlet was fitted with a display case and posters illustrating Stangl's manufacturing processes and opened to Outlet shoppers. This display quickly became a popular focal point for many Flemington Outlet visitors for many years.
Stangl's Flemington outlet in 1965.
The Stangl Flemington Outlet showroom and popular Kiln Display in 1965.
The Kiln display during the 1970s.
With the closing of Stangl Pottery in 1978, and use of the building by Pfaltzgraff Pottery as a retail outlet, the old Kiln display was closed as well. That is until 2000. We were able to contract with Pfaltzgraff to reopen this historic kiln as the home of the Hill-Fulper-Stangl Museum. Following are a few glimpses of that display.
View of the the Hill-Fulper-Stangl Museum kiln, 2002.
The display does not remain static, new items are being acquired and installed all the time. Also, a portion of the Museum Display will always be temporary. We will periodically change the focus of the temporary display to showcase a particular group or theme of Fulper or Stangl products. The first theme of the changing display was Stangl and Fulper Fayence Solid-color Dinnerware, some is shown below. The next featured display was a large collection of Stangl Pottery birds, courtesy of Frank and Liz Kramar, followed by a display focusing on the sample designs of Stangl's top designer Kay Hackett.
In addition to the kiln displays, the Hill-Fulper-Stangl Museum also conducts educational programs, known as "Meet Me at the Kiln". the most recent "Meet Me at the Kiln" program featured designer Kay Hackett demonstrating her famous design techniques and the dinnerware decorating methods used at Stangl Pottery.
For more information on the Hill-Fulper-Stangl
Museum and "Meet Me at the Kiln" programs, go to
A peek through the doorway!
Some of the posters along the top of the kiln.
One of the cabinets displaying Hill and Fulper products.
Top shelf holds several pieces of Hill Pottery redware drain pipe and a redware jar, 1815-1850s. Second shelf is Fulper & Sons and Fulper Brothers stoneware and earthenware, 1870s-1890s
Fulper's "Famous" Germ-Proof water filter, Fire-Proof cooking ware
and ice water crock, produced roughly between 1895 to World War One.
Some of our Fulper Pottery Vase-Kraft artware, produced from 1909 to 1918.
This cabinet shows a variety of Fulper Pottery
items dating from the 'Teens through the 'Twenties.
The Fulper "Keramidor" tobacco jar, produced only during 1923.
Shown here with its original Grand Rapids oak smoking stand.
The top of the stand is recessed to receive the base of the jar.
Some of our favorite Fulper items; rare automobile horn in Butterscotch Flambé glaze,
miniature Dachshund figurine, Copper Dust lamp produced for Rembrandt Lamp Co.
during the 1920s with original Rembrandt screen shade, ashtray insert made for Bronzart Co. during 1930 with original Bronzart elephant stand, and a 1920s Elephant bookend.
This shelf shows a variety of Fulper Pottery items produced during the 1920s to 1930s.
The left side of the cabinet has a WWI era Fulper doll head and complete doll, as well as a small example of the variety of Fulper Porcelaine novelties produced during the 1920s. The right side shows a few examples of the Fulper Fayence line of artware that was produced from 1924 to 1928.
Fulper Fayence, Fulper-Stangl and Stangl Pottery brand items, all produced by the Fulper Pottery Company during the 1920s into the early '30s. Shown on the bottom shelf are some of the metal figurines and statuary made by such companies as Frankart, Nuart, Apt, and L.V. Aronson's Art Metal Works, which all used ceramic inserts produced by Fulper Pottery Co. The two lamps with applied roses were made for Davart.
A close-up of the above.
A variety of 1930s solid-color and hand-decorated Stangl artware.
Some of Stangl's best-known products - hand-painted dinnerware. These pieces from the 1940s.
This cabinet shows a variety of Stangl dinnerware and artware from the 1950s
A very small grouping of Stangl's extensive line of bird figurines.
Some of the FAKE Fulper and Stangl products now appearing in American marketplaces. more information and examples of these items can be found by following this Reproduction Alert link.
Two faked Fulper vases on the left, a faked Fulper-Stangl #1081 Square Modern tea set in the center and an original Fulper-Stangl #1081 Square Modern tea set on the right.
Above the cabinets on the kiln wall we have hanging informative photos and company posters...
This area features the Stangl Outlet's renowned egg basket "shopping basket"
with a photo of designer Kay Hackett at work during the 1940s, and
on the left a copy of a 1930s Stangl Pottery artware poster.
This area has an enlargement of Martin Stangl in 1910, another "Shopping Basket,
and a 1931 Stangl Pottery dinnerware poster showing pattern #1388 Colonial.
Some of the original dinnerware packing cartons on display,
once used for shipping Stangl's famous "16-Piece Starter Sets"
Poster on the left is an enlargement of a 1909 Vase-Kraft advertisement,
on the right is an enlargement of a Thistle dinnerware brochure from 1952.
A few early Stangl Lamps line the tops of the cabinets.
Some of the original plaster models in the Museum collection...
On the left is a case mold for the Flemington courthouse book ends,
the small item in the center is a model for the Try-Rex pencil holder,
on the right is a plaster model for a Ward's Orange Crush dispenser.
A few of our "Temporary" displays...
Some very early Fulper Fayence and Fulper-Stangl dinnerware
of the 1920s, featured during one of our temporary displays.
A portion of the temporary display of Kay Hackett samples
of designs never produced and some production variations
Top shelf features more of Kay's samples, bottom shelf
holds some of Kay's earliest designs, now hard to find!
A shelf dedicated solely to Stangl's very hard-to-find "Fruit & Butterflies"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
* IMPORTANT NOTE:
is with sad regret that we have been forced to close the Hill-Fulper-Stangl
Potteries Museum due to the sale of Pfaltzgraff ~ our host.
This very popular display had been housed in the original Stangl kiln at the old
Fulper Pottery factory building in Flemington, NJ since April 2000.
Inspired by Stangl’s original Kiln Display, created by Merrill and Christl
Stangl Bacheler in 1950, the
Hill-Fulper-Stangl Potteries Museum was a favorite destination
for stangl collectors from across the nation, and had even been
visited by international students of pottery craft.
The Museum is now closed permanently, and because of the recent sale of the Pfaltzgraff Company, the future of this historic building is uncertain. A new shopping complex on adjacent property at the location of the old railroad siding is already under construction and due to open shortly. Without the control of the historically minded Pfaltzgraff family, the ultimate fate of Flemington's old Stangl building - a gem of early ceramic architecture - remains unknown...
All photos and content copyright Robert C. Runge Jr.